Liebster Award winner!
The Educational Tourist is proud to
the Liebster Award
Before we all get too terribly excited, firstly I’ll say that the Liebster Award is really a way of new bloggers to get introduced to other bloggers. While I’m not that new, I’m still under the 200 followers which keeps me in the running. If you haven’t signed up to follow my blog, no time like the present! You can join the 187 fantabulous followers I have by adding your email to the spot on the right. Then, you’ll never miss an earth shattering post from The Educational Tourist!
In order to receive the much coveted Liebster Award, one must first answer 11 questions:
Liebster Award Question 1 – How long have you been blogging? (Whew! They started with an easy one!)
I began blogging three years ago just as I published my first book which I shall shamelessly promote here.
(Check out how I answered that in a complete sentence. Do I get extra credit from the English teachers out there? Please??)
Liebster Award Question 2 – Can you give 11 random facts or pieces of trivia about yourself?
LOL! OK, while that is technically a correct answer to the question, I don’t think that is what they were going for…I’ll try again.
Liebster Award Question 3 – 11 random facts or pieces of trivia
1. I was a dancing smurf, Smurfette, and dancing Yogi Bear at an amusement park one summer. Crazy fun (and hot) summer job.
2. I’ve moved 8 times in the last 5 years – Houston to Tulsa, Tulsa to Dallas, Dallas to The Woodlands, The Woodlands to Austin and each one of those had a corporate housing move before a permanent move into a house and I count those! Each time every single box got unpacked and every picture was hung on the wall. Yes, I hope not to move again. Ever. E-V-E-R.
3. My 1st car was a Datsun 240Z that was painted midnight blue…It even had custom plates that read: Like Wow! What a lucky 16 year old I was!
4. My family roots on my mom’s side are Sicilian. Like all good Italians I can make my great-grandmother’s spaghetti sauce!
5. I once spent a LOT of time doing genealogy research and am now a member of the DAR (Daughters of the American Revolution) and The Daughters of the War of 1812.
6. I like to name things. My Vitamix blender is named Lola and the cars are Miranda and The Party Van.
7. I have never met a hat I didn’t like and I always wear one on vacation. I have an entire wardrobe of hats! If you are one of those people who thinks you can’t wear a hat, I respectfully say you just haven’t found the right hat! Read here for tips on choosing the right hat for you!
8. My family travel song is Willie Nelson’s “On the Road Again” and we sing it at the beginning of every adventure!
9. I channel my inner Johnny Appleseed and plant fruit trees at every house we live in. One house now has an orchard of 23 fruit trees.
10. I never, ever travel without painter’s tape. It is even better than duct tape for its many, many uses. Curious? Read about why you should always pack painter’s tape here!
Liebster Award Question 4 – What is your favorite travel story?
Once in Italy, we were traveling by train from Milan to Venice. We boarded the train, put our luggage up and settled in for a ride, when we suddenly remembered we had not validated our tickets. To validate you must insert the ticket in a little machine on the train platform – OUTSIDE the train. So, I got off with all the tickets to validate when I heard a terrible sound….a big WHOOSH behind me of the train doors closing! In seconds my life flashed before my eyes! I was standing OUTSIDE the train with ALL the tickets while my traveling companions were all INSIDE the train WITHOUT the tickets. I flung myself against the train door and by some travel god miracle it opened. Close Call!
Liebster Award Question 5 – What do you love the most about blogging?
I enjoy the connections with other bloggers. (I think this is the equivalent of a Miss America contestant saying she wants world peace. ) LOL! While I do enjoy connecting with other bloggers….
The real thing I love MOST about blogging is showing families that you CAN travel with the kids and enjoy it. Adults can see what they always wanted to see like museums instead of water parks and Chuck E. Cheese and kids can enjoy it, learn from it, appreciate it.
Liebster Award Question 6 – Do you prefer to camp, stay in hostels, or travel luxuriously?
Hmmm….this is a tough question because the answer is really in between hostels and traveling luxuriously. I want the creature comforts like air conditioning – Good. Crisp. Delicious air conditioning. Why do we not celebrate the invention of air conditioning each year? BUT, I can live without it and so can you. Read how to travel happily when your definition of air conditioning is different than at your destination.
While I love the creature comforts I don’t want so many that I am distanced from the culture and country that I traveled so far to see. This is apparent in small ways – like the fact that in Turkey there is no top sheet on the bed. They use a sheet on the bottom and then a blanket on top. Had I traveled ‘luxuriously’ in a Western type hotel I would have had a proper western top sheet, but would have missed out on the cool tidbit that the Turks do it differently. Additionally, some hotels proudly serve a full Western breakfast and then we miss out on what the locals eat.
Liebster Award Question 7 – Why do you travel?
Ah, what a great question. I travel to see the world – see the history – smell the local food – and walk where others walked before. I want to learn about the people and find out how we are all similar and yet different. The world is an interesting place and I love seeing it up close. I also want to teach my kids that we are not alone and our way of doing things isn’t necessarily the right way. Everyone has something to offer.
Liebster Award Question 8 – What is the one country in the world you would most like to visit? Why?
Up until this summer I would have said Greece! Now I have to think of another country because we just crossed Greece off the list. What an incredible country – so much history and culture and wonderful people. It was even more fantastic than I imagined. The country that is now the one I would most like to visit is Egypt because pyramids up close would be super duper cool!
Read more about traveling with the family in my TOP two favorite countries – Turkey and Greece!
Liebster Award Question 9 – You are stranded on a desert island – what’s the one thing you couldn’t live without?
Sunscreen. I knew this answer instantly because I haven’t left the house without wearing sunscreen since 1986 – and in those days sunscreen all smelled like the pool and was greasy. Thankfully things have changed in that department! That was the year I learned that most of what we call ‘aging’ is really photo aging/damage from the sun. The best wrinkle is the one you never get. 😉 LOL!
Liebster Award Question 10 – A long-lost relative leaves you a large sum of money. What do you do with it?
Travel, of course! What a silly question! 🙂 I have a very long list of places I want to go so I would just use that money to visit the next place on the list!
Oh, and promote world peace of course.
Liebster Award Question 11 – Where do you see yourself in five years time?
Wearing a super hero cape, looking and feeling 29 (not sure how I’m going to pull that off – LOL!) and still traveling the world – and promoting world peace.
Thank you, Sarah at Five Foot Traveler for the nomination for the Liebster award!
She and I could be twinsies as I am only a hair above 5 foot myself!
Libby with ‘Y’ at Libby McNamee
Cathy of Roar Loud
Rhoni of Living Our Life
Heesun of Me Want Travel
Karlie of Miss Wanderlust
Kari of Words and Other Such Things
Amber at The World at My Feet
Hannah of Postcards from Hannah
Felicia of Adios Felicia
Ginger of One Year My Dear
Amy of Dunn Days
Fellow bloggers, your mission, should you choose to accept it:
1) Answer these questions:
a) How long have you been blogging?
b) What message do you most want to tell your readers?
c) If you could ask the question of Miss American contestants during their interview…what would you ask?
d) If someone who was planning their first international trip abroad asked you where they should go first, what would you say?
e) What is the craziest thing you have seen while traveling?
f) What are the top 3 places on your bucket list?
g) Eleven tidbits about yourself. GO!
h) Cat or dog? Why?
i) You can have free wifi or free breakfast at your hotel – which do you choose and why?
j) You look across the airplane aisle and you see your favorite famous person! Who is it and why are you enamored??
2) Comment on this post with a link to your Liebster Award post!
3) In YOUR Liebster Award post link back to this page with a shout out!
4) Nominate 11 newbie blogs. Give them questions and keep the coveted Liebster Award making the rounds.
Natalie, The Educational Tourist